UA-59651954-28 Crafty Allie: Mason Jar Herb Planter

Monday, March 24, 2014

Mason Jar Herb Planter


Happy Monday Everyone! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I spent mine with a doing my next decor project (which I'll share tomorrow), shot a family photo session, and took care of my icky sicky son (which finally he seems to be doing better today).

I am so happy to announce my guest blogger today 
Kelli from


Hello, all! I am thrilled to share a little project with you today. If you're a gardener or enjoy cooking with fresh herbs, this is a project you are going to want to put on your to-do list. But first, before I get into the nitty gritty, let me introduce myself. 

I'm Kelli. 

It's nice to meet you!



I blog over at The Sustainable Couple.


My husband and I are huge self-sufficiency, sustainable living advocates, and we blog about our eco-friendly pursuits on our homestead in the city. We live in Eastern Iowa, and enjoy blogging about gardening, cooking with real food, frugal DIY, and home renovation.


Today I'm going to share a suuuuuuper easy {and sustainable!} project with you: A mason jar herb planter!






Making an herb planter similar to this is so easy, people. First, grab a bit of paint. I happened to use two Valspar samples that I got for free with a coupon from the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. These samples were from Lowe's, and were only about $3 (if I wouldn't have used the free coupons). These samples are the way to go if you are building up your craft arsenal.



Next, I grabbed a few boards (because I wanted to make two herb planters) from our scrap wood pile. Do you have a scrap pile? Oh man, you totally should! Don't throw any wood away; start a little pile in the garage somewhere. You never know when an idea will pop into your head.



Ahem. Like this one :)



Anyway, slather on your paint and wait for it to dry completely. You don't want any tacky-ness, baby. Because next you're going to get down with a power drill.




While you're waiting for your paint to dry, get your mason jars ready to install. Simply take some wire - any wire will do - and wrap it around the lip of the mason jar two times. Then, twist off the loose ends and make a little loop.




This loop is what you'll use to hang the jar.




When your paint is dry, you're ready to prepare your boards for hanging the mason jars. Measure out where you'd like to put the screws from which each mason jar will hang.




You're almost done! Simply hang your mason jars (it's totally fine if they aren't 100% level or if they jars are different - the mismatched look is very trendy right now, I think).




Before you just toss some yard dirt in the jars, you need to think about a few things. First, irrigation. Put a handful of rocks in the bottom which will provide drainage if you accidentally over-water. Pick up some potting soil from any home and garden center. Add a big ol' scoop of potting soil to the jar, on top of the rocks. Then, gently transplant your herbs.




You can easily start your own seeds instead of buying starts. Herbs are really easy to grow from seed, and are even more fun to cook with! Just remember to keep these planters handy as to encourage you to use the 'fruits of your labor'.



Do you have fresh herbs planted indoors? Tell me about it! 



A special thanks to Allie for allowing me to guest post today. I'm not good with 'good-bye's', so can we still be friends? Feel free to LIKE us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, or sign up for email updates for our blog, The Sustainable Couple



Oh how I love fresh herbs, but I can't seem to keep them alive. I for sure have to try this method, and its so cute and stylish too!
Thank you so much for coming over today!

Would you like to be a guest Blogger? If so contact me here.

Thanks again Kelli, and a thank you to my readers for tuning in today! Until next time...
This post was featured at:
Craft Frenzy Friday

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! Love fresh herbs! And yes, I certainly do have a scrap pile. It got so big I had to move it out behind our garage! Have a great day, and thank you for the super easy inspiration.

    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love scrap piles too! I am going to make a project tomorrow with old fence pickets, can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Love the mason jar planter, and great tip about the paint. I need to check that out at Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually Home Depot has them for $3 too. I love to look on their oopsie rack. I can get them for 50 cents. A quart for $3 and a gallon for $5-7.

      Delete
  3. Well, you are quite welcome. You did a superb job and deserved a lot of showing off for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to grow your own herbs.... they always seem to taste better... Planters are cute too……. :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant way to use mason jars! I'm pinning this right now.

    If you have a minute to spare please pop by and say g'day and perhaps even link up your post to my weekly Say G'Day linky party!

    Best wishes,,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea your Mason Jars Herb planter is and you did a nice tutorial on making it. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice little set up. My herbs always die but maybe I can try again. Thanks for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

You = awesome. Me = grateful.
You can’t see me but I’m totally doing a happy dance, thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...