UA-59651954-28 Crafty Allie: Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

Monday, March 3, 2014

Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

20140227-132036.jpg

Sadly yes, It's that time of the week again! Monday, Sigh...
But that's OK, because I am happy to welcome
Emily from

Emily from DomesticDeadline.comHi! I'm Emily from Domestic Deadline. I work part time in construction, cook from scratch and am always attempting to decorate my house both functionally and beautifully. Of course, there is always some sort of craft project in the way of the cleaning and other domestic duties. 




Today I'd like to share my basic bread recipe with you. I'm constantly working on cutting out processed foods in our house and work it into our busy schedules. Because I choose to be gluten free and try to reduce the wheat products in my children's diet, we frequently make sandwiches on homemade gluten free pancakes. But when the family does eat wheat products, I prefer it be homemade. I know, homemade sounds like a lot of work. Why else would there be the saying, "Better than sliced bread?" Which is why, it has to be fit into our busy schedule. Let's say you've got a lot of running around to do today, errands, kid's sports or activities, that kind of thing. But, you're going to stop back in for lunch and then won't be home again until dinner time. How on earth do you have time to make homemade bread with that kind of day?
It's easier than you think, let me break it down for you.
Step 1: Rise and shine! While you're getting breakfast on the table, fill a measuring cup with 3 cups of hot tap water (or microwave it for about 3-5 minutes if you don't want to let the tap run). Add a tablespoon of honey (I don't even measure this, pour it straight from the bottle and eyeball it) and a tablespoon of yeast (measure this one, or a packet). Mix gently and let it sit and become foamy while you eat breakfast. 

Step 2: In a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix the following:
  • 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 5 1/2 cups whole wheat or multigrain flour (I prefer multigrain, but these pictures are of whole wheat)
  • 2 cups oats
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
 20140227-132008.jpg


Step 3: With the mixer running add in your water and yeast mixture with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix it well while you
pile the breakfast dishes in the sink
clean up the breakfast dishes. Leave the bowl on the mixer, cover it with plastic wrap and head out the door for your busy morning.

  20140227-132016.jpg
Step 4: Check that dough, it should have doubled by now, flip your mixer back on while you spray, butter or grease two loaf pans. Divide your dough into two pans and cover them back up with the plastic wrap. Head out for the rest of your activities. 
Step 5: Once you get home, preheat your oven to 375, pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes. 

Step 6: Enjoy yummy homemade bread! Technically you are supposed to wait until bread cools to cut it, but seriously, who can resist straight from the oven steamy bread? And when the butter just melts perfectly into every nook and cranny, heaven (why did I give up wheat again.....).
20140227-132026.jpg

I store one loaf in a air tight container and wrap the other loaf in plastic wrap and tin foil to freeze. I usually defrost it in a few days when the first loaf is gone, otherwise they gobble it up! I've been known to make a batch 3-4 times a week.

Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
  • 3 cups warm water
  • 1 Tablespoon yeast
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • ¾ cup vital wheat gluten
  • 5 ½ cups multigrain or whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups oats
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Mix water, yeast and honey, let sit for about 30 minutes. With a dough hook on a stand mixer, mix gluten, flour, oats and salt. Add in water mixture and oil until well mixed. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to double in size, about 1-1 ½ hours. Push down and divide into 2 greased loaf pans. Allow to double again (1-1 ½ hours). Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown and baked all the way through. Cool before cutting (yeah right!)This recipe was inspired by the Gracious Pantry

When broken down into a few extra minutes here and there, I can easily work it into my schedule. Since I stop home for lunch some work days, we can have fresh, homemade bread for a fraction of the cost without any extra preservatives or processing, and without me making an trip to the store when we are out of bread! 

 Please stop by and visit me over at Domestic Deadline and check out:
If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment or subscribe to my RSS feed. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Most sleepless nights I can be found on Pinterest.



Thanks you so much Emily for being my guest today! Come back anytime! 

In addition to working and being a busy mom and wife, Emily as has an Etsy shop. Check it out here:
etsy 2

If you'd like to guest blog, please contact me.

Thanks for tuning in! Until next time...



4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so welcome.Thank you for blogging for me. I am sorry it didn't go up early. I scheduled it for 12am but for whatever reason it didn't ever publish, until I went and manually published it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love working with yeast, and I actually specialize in baking Challahs
    This is a great oatmeal sandwich, and I'm planning to try this recipe
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do a post on it and share it with me when you do ;)

      Delete

You = awesome. Me = grateful.
You can’t see me but I’m totally doing a happy dance, thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...