UA-59651954-28 Crafty Allie: Ruffled T-Shirt Skirt

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ruffled T-Shirt Skirt


Well, Hello All! I hope everyone's Week is going well!

As mentioned the other day, I LOVE a good 
T-shirt Upcycle, and I've got another one, already!

My daughter had her Yankee Doodle Musical Today, and she needed a Red, White, and Blue outfit. 
But well, we all know muah, I couldn't just let her wear ole any outfit; it had to be spectacular da-lyn,

I actually searched for red and blue t-shirts at home, and when I couldn't find any that were ready to be destroyed, 
I went to my good ole' Salvation Army.

I've been a regular Wednesday shopper these days, mainly because its down the street from my daughter's gymnastics gym. 
And while she's practicing I can sneak a quick trip in. But I also love to go on Wednesday's because its Customer Appreciation Day, and all their clothing, shoes, purses, and linens are 50% off. 

I am a sucker for clearance. Lately I've been buying my daughter a ton of clothes. I sniff out the newer ones. I never ever pay over $3, but most are 50 cents to $1.
She is all set for the summer with bathing suits, 
gymnastics leotards, tights, dresses, and shirts.

I also like to buy throw pillows, and silk linens.
I will occasionally buy dishes, and vases.

Ok, anyway, moving on. I bought two 50 cents t shirts last week.

I already had a white shirt on hand.

I cut two 5 inch strips of red, 
 two 5 inch strips of blue, 
and one 5 inch strip of white.

For the ruffles I used to bottom of the 
t-shirts so I wouldn't have to hem them. 

As you can see by the photo, I only ruffled 3 of the strips.


The strips in between are to attach to the ruffles.


Don't ask me why, but I attached the blue part to the white ruffle first, sewing the right sides together.


Then I sewed blue ruffle half way on top of the blue strip.
I just placed it right on top and sewed near the ruffle hem.

Next I took the red strip and sewed it onto white ruffle.
I sewed the back side of the ruffle to the front side of the red strip, sandwiching the white ruffle between the blue strip and red strip.



The strip will hang down below the white ruffle. 

This is what it would look like when you lift up the ruffles.


And then I sewed the red ruffle on top of the red strip.


This is what it looks like underneath the ruffles.


After trying it onto my daughter it was a 
little shorter than I anticipated. 
I measured the length against another skirt she had,
 but I think she may have grown taller since wearing that skirt, lol.

Not to worry, I just cut an extra white t-shirt strip about 6 1/2 inches, and attached it right sides together
 to the top of the blue strip, and then hemmed the top of the white strip and folded it down.


I was going to add an elastic waste band, but it worked out that
 it was just the right size and it stayed exactly 
where it needed to be when she tried it on. 
So Perfect... one less thing for me to have to sew!

Then I made her a matching
 red, white and blue t-shirt flower for her hair.
To see how I made it, click here.





The t-shirt she is wearing I bought at Salvation Army too, 
and then just added a sequenced patch I already had.
Total cost for the whole outfit $2.
You just can't beat that.

She was a hit in her musical!
 She got a lot of ooh's and awe's on her outfit too!

I think she was the cutest one up there, but sigh...
that's just me, a proud mama! 
And I guess an admirer of my own work too, lol!

But ssshhh... she really was the cutest and prettiest!

Thanks so much for tuning in guys.
Stay tuned for more patriotic ideas this weekend!
              
                                                        
This post has been featured at:

Be A Crafter xD

14 comments:

  1. So cute! I love upcycling whenever I can and you did a great job on this. Saw your link at Weekends are fun blog hop and now following you on G+ and Twitter. Enjoy your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving it :) I like how you did the skirt. I was thinking of making one but couldn't figure it out, I see now how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding uses for old t-shirts. I have a drawer full of them waiting to be sewn into something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well how cute the shirt turned out, your daughter is darling.
    Thanks for stopping by and linking this week.
    Have a great weekend
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!! Super easy and must try it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely idea to upcycle old T-shirts! Thank you for sharing with us at CAL link party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Thanks for sharing last week on Mostly Homemade Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! Love! Pinned. Thanks for being a part of our party. Please come and party with us, tonight at 7 pm. We love having you. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an AWESOME up cycle! I'd like to feature it tomorrow at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be cautious while requesting. Online wholesalers ordinarily don't work a customary store, and regardless of whether they odds are good that you didn't stroll in to purchase your product. fake off white hoodie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

You = awesome. Me = grateful.
You can’t see me but I’m totally doing a happy dance, thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...